Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions BUZZZZZZZ

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

Have you tried the bari MP on the tenor just to see what happens?

Kevin
      Participant

Btw your upload was beautifully played!

jake
        Participant

no, its too big, i guess i can throw it on there and see, guess tuning doesnt matter for a play test. good idea kevin, I will try it out. I have tried atleast 6 other mp combos like plastic, HR, and metal. the metals def give me the biggest sound. I will try it out tomorrow.
          If you listen to my Latin Lupe Lu video I posted a while ago under member videos you will hear the buzz im talking about (my bari). i swear i do nothing but blow into the sax and its a given!! wish tenor was that easy.

Kevin
          Participant

Also Jake, just pulled out my Tenor and blew some notes and this observation came to me that I think correlates to some of the key things Johnny has stated as well as the embrochure video posted recently-
            I positioned my Lig a bit further from the point where the reed and the curve meet that I usually do, then playing from D to A (lower octave) I listened to the buzz of the notes. Then I positioned my lower lip where it wasn’t rolled over the teeth at all but jutted forward a bit getting more of the padded area in contact with the reed, and inched it forward in increments until I couldn’t control the pitch hardly and backed up slightly. Playing the same notes D to A I noticed more buzz. My thought is that the reed needs to slap the facing more without being muted by the lip. So getting the lower lip further down the reed where the sound in bigger perhaps also accomplishes letting the reed buzz against the facing more.
            Not coming from someone who has a good buzz going already, but an observation that may draw some additional input from those that do…

jake
            Participant

yea, great observations. I have also experimented with lig placement. at times I have it at the very end of the reed to achieve the most vibration as possible. I am trying to get more mp in as Johnny recommended in one of my other videos, like you said, the more reed exposed, the quicker is should vibrate which should generate the buzzy sound. great pointers for sure.
              i need to work on pushing more from my diaphram i think. that pressure should get the reed a flapping. LOL

Anonymous

Hi Jake – there is another way to do buzzing that i have tried.

You might not be able to do this, but its worth a try.

1st put the mouthpiece in your mouth (connected to the sax) as far as you can without gagging,

2nd now cover the length of the reed with the top of your yongue, from the tip of your tongue to the middle of the tongue

3rd the whole length of the reed is physically lying on your tongue like when you lie on top of a bed

4th the first few bits was to find if/and how much of your tongue you can use to cover the reed.

5th theres two ways to stop a reed vibrating, and no one tells about the second way. the 1st way is to stop the reed vibrating with the tip of the tongue pressed against the tip of the reed. JF mentions this a lot – stop the note to stop it going flat.

The 2nd way to stop the reed is by using not the tip, but by using the top of the tongue along the length of the reed. You will hear a faint buzz if you do this really slow.

6th now the tricky bit, believe it or not, you can actually play with the length of the tongue actually in contact with the full length of the reed, almost as if you were to lick the reed like you lick icecream or a dog licks your face. Its not just the tip of the tongue, its with all the flat surface of the tongue.

7th what im saying is try doing that, but adjust the length of the tongue in contact with the reed, and adjust the amount of pressure the tongue is placing on the length of the reed. as you start to reduce the overall physical contact pressure the reed will to play and at some point will have a buzziness.

8th the first time you do this, you will know you are doing this correctly because you will feel the vibrations along the length of the reed along the length of your tongue – and believe me it really stings the top of your tongue (makes your tongue hurt)

If you play around with this, a couple of days at least, you can start to playing the whole range, but its going sound a lot different to your normal sound. This is one if the reasons when playing the mouthpiece, if you can have more mouthpiece in the mouth, more of your tongue is available to do these special effects. So if you like, you can dampen the sound of the reed, buzz it up, remove it completely (except the tip) altissimo up into the 5th octaves etc – you need the tip ti vibrate freely for altissimo.

The only other way for me to buzz would be to combine fluttering with growling.

Anonymous

Moving the ligature closer/further away from you is changing the lenth of reed that vibrates. Also depending on how curved the mouthpiece is in relation to the reed surface it will bring the tip of the reed more/less in contact with the tip of the mouthpiece.
                  So by moving the ligature you are changing 2 things instead of one.

Too close or too far away is way too difficult for beginners to have complete control of the reed.
                  The middle ground gives the best of both worlds. Some people say it makes the sound darker/brighter other people say it focuses/widens the sound. So playing round with the lig position may give an edge on the buzzing – but im sure a pro could buzz in all 3 lig positions

Anonymous

For other effects, try stopping the reed slowly with the tip of your tongue along different positions of the reed length, not just the tip of the reed and listen for changes in sound.

then play the reed by letting the tip of the tongue just lightly touching the reeds in these other positions (its like yoga for the tongue) – play around with contact pressure – again listen to changes of sound in different positions.

jake
                    Participant

Thanks for all the tips guys. Will def give me some things to work on.
                      Also Kevin I tried the Bari no on my tenor and I did get a little bit of a better buzz. It was atleast a half step down tuning wise. Lol. So weird Cuzz it’s a cheapy mp. Maybe a will drop the 25 bucks and get the tenor version of it and give it whirl as well.
                      I have always put a rubber pad on top of the mp as well as its more comfortable. I wonder if I take that off if I will get more resonance? Def have some things to experiment with. Thanks again all.

Anonymous

another way of getting a buzzy sound?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.