Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Breaking in a reed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Craig Scott
    Participant

What’s the best way to break in a new reed? How long should you play on it, what register etc? Thanks.

john
      Keymaster

The more you play it the faster you break it in. There are some reeds now that come good to go right out of the box. For example Vandoren ZZ. Other members have mentioned others on this forum as well.

Craig Scott
        Participant

What are the characteristics of a reed that’s too stiff? How does it sound compared to one that’s too thin? How do you know when a reed is just crap right out of the box?

Craig Scott
          Participant

Again, I have found the answer to my questions in Johnny’s videos. Thanks for al your work JF.

john
            Keymaster

Glad you found it. You will always know how good a reed is once you have played one that is a “perfect” reed because you will always be able to compare other reeds to that one. This is why I tell beginners to go through entire boxes not just 2 or 3…what if those 2 or 3 you bought at the store are the crappiest reeds from the box the guy opened for you?

Craig Scott
              Participant

I’ve been doing a little experimenting with reeds that are stiff and hard to play. I soak it, then rub it up with my thumb for a while, alternating with soaking, It seems that just a little friction and pressure on a wet reed can help it flex and make it more playable. Of course a new mouthpiece and ligature have helped too.

john
                Keymaster

Also, don’t forget about positioning the reed on the mouthpiece and the tightness of the lig. It should obviously be tight enough to firmly hold the reed in place but not choking the reed by being too tight. As for exactly where to place it refer to my reed video lesson.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.