Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Bought the Major Scale course today, starting in about 3 months; great stuff :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,
      I’m going to start your Major Scale course in June and bought it now while I could, while I had the funds on hand LOL You know how it is with family responsibilities, having the $ when you don’t need something and then not having the $ when you really do need something 🙂 I looked over the first 2 lessons and it’s almost EXACTLY what I’ve been going over on my lessons here every Monday afternoon, very cool 🙂 So I guess the timing was right to get started on this soon; got some blues stuff I was going to upload now in April-May first, one step at a time. I’ve been working on Improvising with Blues/Blues Scales, Killer Blues ebook for over a year and half and it was the “meat” of my practices, so it was just about time to move on to your new course. He was telling me that we’re going to start taking modes and chords and showing me how to apply those things over chord changes and said it will all start coming together from that point. I’m not sure what’s coming in your course because I’ve never liked getting ahead of myself, but it looks to be GOOD stuff Johnny 🙂 Thanks much for making this course available, just what the doctor ordered 🙂

john
      Keymaster

Sounds like what he’s preparing you for is pretty much what my Major Scale Improv course is about so it should go with your lessons nicely.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

On our first meeting where he assessed me, he had me show him the Major/minor scales and the chords, if I knew how to invert chords, etc.. He asked me about Modes but I told him I have never used them in my playing before and he was like “okay, we need to get you starting to work on this stuff then”. I told him I was focused primarily on Blues Improvisation and showed him that I knew how to use Blues Scales and hadn’t gotten to anything like Modes yet and he said I would be making a big mistake by not learning how to use them in my playing and said it was “a must” if you want to know how to really be a complete Improviser because he said the Blues have limitations; it’s only “a piece of the pie” is how he put it. Right now he has me at what would be lesson 2 of your course, but I gotta say the one great thing you’re doing that he hasn’t done with me is using a visual aide like the Piano. In the room where we meet every week there’s no Piano/keyboard around. My wife has the Hammond B3 organ at home and I’ve used it to help me understand things like scales, intervals, chords, things you talked about in Killer Blues, etc.. The visual aide really helps. I guess when we meet next Monday I could mention to him if either he or me bring a small keyboard as we progress with this kind of playing because it really helps me to see what he’s talking about and then I can hear it much more easily on the Sax. After the next few Blues uploads I do then your Major Scale course will be “the meat” of my practices. Along side this, he’s had me starting to work on Diminished Scales and how to articulate them…COOL stuff 🙂 I’ve mentioned before that I have to have an Improvised version of “Moondance” done by April 25th and he asked me to put these things into practice, I’ll upload it shortly before April 25th so you can look at it and critique it before playing it in front of him….nothing wrong with getting some extra help 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.