Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Bobby Keys "Can You Hear me Knocking" with Rolling Stones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Bobby Key’s Sax solo of “Brown Sugar” was probably his most famous Sax solo with the Rolling Stones..it’s been awesome learning it in different keys in Johnny’s Killer Blues too. I think there’s loads and loads of great solos that he played with the Rolling Stones. I like the Sax lines in this song of the Rolling Stones. I’ve been taking the time to go through a lot of their music and would just listen to his solos. While all of his solos were played over different scales, chord progressions, etc., the one thing I noticed they all have in common was how simple/uncluttered his solos were. He wasn’t playing at 100 mph either…can’t help but notice his Rockin’ Sax sound in there either 🙂 I set the timer right before the sax lines started.

Anonymous

i experienced cluttered up playing when i recently played in a Jazz band – and this is in my case only!

we were given some sheet music to play by some composer, which was reasonably fast. There was certain sections/phrases/bunch of bars, when i played them, they sounded cluttered up, so i didn’t play those bars, listened to the sax’s around me, and they all played them smoothly – the reason why i sounded cluttered up, was because of my poor technique – it would take me litteraly hours & hours of practice to get to that standard.

If i play mid b,c,d,e – and go up and down on those notes – i can easily sound cluttered up.

But like say before – for me thats the main reason i can sound cluttered up, and great players will say something along the lines when it comes to the performance – always play within the range of your abilities, dont try and sound like someone else, just be you, and dont play something out of your range, just be you

Ridge
        Participant

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/1CWtZdBEknk&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>`

`

William Cingolani
          Participant

Rocking good Michael Rocking good. You got some great rocking sound. I love that rocking guitarist Kieth Richards.

john
            Keymaster

If you’re workin on that tune it’s in D minor and so use the D minor scale: D E F G A B C
              but mostly Bobby just sticks to the pentatonic: D F G A C
              If you listen to the guitar right after that it sounds a little jazzeir and that’s because he’s utilizing the E and the G which are the 2nd and 4rth so NOT part of the pentatonic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.