Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Birdland on YTS62 purple logo vintage tenor

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I forgot to type above that it looks like the MP is dropping out of your mouth/don’t have enough of it in your mouth. We don’t want to let drop down, up, to the side, etc.. This will effect our sound big time. There’s some select situations if you let the MP point upwards in your mouth ever-so-little this can increase the flow of air into the Sax itself, by for the most part we can keep in nice and straight in our mouth. Your embouchure looks good, you’re getting a nice seal around the MP with your mouth. Keep up the great work Jazz Cat 🙂

Anonymous

@Jazz Cat – just checked your list for this year

– Birdland
        – In the Mood
        – Pick Up the Pieces
        – Peter Gunn theme
        – Take Five
        – Play that Funky Music
        – Cantaloupe Island
        – Harlem Nocturne
        – Tequila
        – Careless Whisper

my request is – i’m looking forward to hearing you upload ‘play that Funky music’? What you will find is your intonation will change with different backing tracks as your mind controls the sax sound to gel with the tones and timbre of each backing track. One of lifes problems if you aren’t pitch perfect.

Jazz Cat
        Participant

thx Michael, good points, this time I used a java 3.0; for a more open sound I’m going to buy an otto link stm 8 (using a 6 now); good tip about more mp; I’d heard that from others; going from lifetime on alto to now tenor, more mp in mouth is an adjustment to make. thx sxpoet, there’s a good funky music video (smooth jazz sax series) on youtube for inspiration (in same series also Cantaloupe I. & Chameleon).

Michael Bishop
          Participant

@ Jazz Cat I hear you about switching from Alto to Tenor, it’s an adjustment for sure. When I first made the switched I was using a size 3 reed and had similar problems, the reed was just too thick for me. I downsized to a Java 2.5 medium and it was much better, maybe it can help you too? Seeing how the Alto is a smaller MP/reed, starting off with a slightly thinner reed may help in the beginning. As you get more used to playing Tenor/have had the time to adjust to it, then a size 3 reed should be right up your alley. That’s a cool list of songs you got in the works Jazz Cat, I’ve learned a few of them. Will start my uploads soon.

jake
            Participant

I had no problem hearing the aax either. Woulda been nice to hear it over the backing track a little more to “HEAR” the sax tho. I know in the real world we are the “icing on the cake”. But the way I see it in the “forum world” we are the cake. lol.
              It’s good to do both for sure. If the mix was what the goal was great. Personally I just wanted to hear JC a little louder. I love the sound of the sax. Keep plugging away. I just love your videos. Very entertaining. Guess my next project gonna be looking to beef up my videos with some visual effects. Any suggestions for decent programs for PC. I currently use movie maker that came loaded on my Windows 7.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Those are great points Jake. I think Windows Movie Maker lets you use the Green Screen to have a Wallpaper behind you like Jazz Cat has on his video here. I think one of the how-to videos I e-mailed to you included a tutorial for Windows movie maker. Having proper lighting is very important. It has to be florescent lights.

Jazz Cat
                Participant

thanks, will do re a 2.5 …I like Johnny’s idea of going through several reeds to try them out.

for greenscreen it’s highly complicated (and expensive, and takes a lot of space+equipment); likely not worth the bother unless you already know how; more important to practice & shoot videos in a room like everyone else does. You might want to call local wedding videographers to get a quote ($200ish?) for them doing a one-hour shoot in their studio, and do a few videos that way.

William Cingolani
                  Participant

I have a few tunes planned for recording. And what does “&amp” mean. I’m thinking it’s a typo. “&amp” appears in my messages when they com into my mail box

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

@ jazz cat Yeah that’s the one thing about a new box of reeds, got to find that one that plays really well. Lately I’ve been opting to find that one reed that is good and put it aside to use it soley for uploads, and for practicing find the next best reeds that come in the box. I bought everything I need to work with Green Screens/wallpaper backgrounds for videos through Amazon last month. I got a big Green Screen, fluorescent lights on stands, etc.. I have a big stand that my Green Screen gets clipped to. I use Cyberlink Media Suite that comes with the chromakey option when dealing with green screen videos, very easy to work with. You certainly do need some space though. Like you mentioned the space and proper lighting are very important. You can also make a home made green screen that works very well and is very inexpensive.

@ William: where’s the “@amp” typo, I can’t find it. Probably just a typo error.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.