Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Birdland on YTS62 purple logo vintage tenor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

Mark Kiziuk
      Participant

Pretty catchy!
        Mark

Anonymous

Nice one Jazz! Very entertaining video.

Jazz Cat
          Participant

updated:

William Cingolani
            Participant

Nice one Jazz.

Kevin
              Participant

Awesome that you can put together a video with all the entertaining background scenes. Nice job playing the new tenor! The volume level of the sax was for me a bit low, which gave an overall sense that the playing was “timid”. Ie- not starting and giving notes a little more assertive “pop” so they stand out and not blend too much together (one of my A-list of things to improve).
                Very entertaining! Thank’s for uploading

jake
                Participant

I agree with Kevin here. Very entertaining video. I would have preferred to have the sax over power the rest of the background music. Really kind of hard to give an honest critique on playing when it was hard to hear the sax. The tone seemed a little mellow. Not sure if that is the sound your after? I strive for more BUZZ with my sound. Something I’m still working on to this day. Nice little trill in the middle. I’ve never heard this tune before. Nice looking Yamaha you picked up! How is it in comparison to your YTS-21?? Do you notice big differences between the student model versus the professional model??

Anonymous

Well played Jazz Cat – thanks for taking time out to upload and share a piece you are working on! I really enjoyed it!
                    Looking forward to hearing more stuff – the forums are dead if people don’t bother to upload & don’t bother to comment?

I played it back on my apple mac pro, and had no problems with hearing your sax.

Jazz Cat
                    Participant

hi; thanks for the encouraging comments, good to hear.

for this one I blended the horn volume w/vocals like I would if gigging live; so it’s not too loud/competing. typically for those the only time I’d raise horn volume is during solos.. but I didn’t solo well on this, so I kept it all low. Also intonation & timing are off a bit.

jake, the yts62 is light years better than my old yts23; ergonomics/tone are substantially (40%+) better on the pro horn. took me forever, many months following ebay auctions, to find a good one.

next up is ‘Chameleon’ mostly solo so volume w/be full, in a month or two…catchy Herbie Hancock song

I like Birdland because it’s a tribute to Charlie Parker.

Michael Bishop
                      Participant

Hi Jazz Cat–sorry I missed this one, I didn’t know a member’s video was here; I’m used to looking for uploads in the Member’s Video section, so I didn’t mean to not see this. Good for you to upload and it’s much appreciated because we all learn so much from each other. It’s a considerable amount of work & time that we take from our own personal schedules to put something together to post here on Johnny’s site, not to mention the time it takes us to learn these songs; so thanks much for doing it 🙂 Great job on the visual entertainment and you have given me some inspiration in this regard for sure; I’ll be making good use of the Green Screen technology with select videos coming very soon. I know what you mean about editing the volume with the track that you’re using, especially if there’s a vocalist on the track because we don’t want to stand out over the vocalist by any means. I’ve had an issue with a couple of uploads myself in that regard. The one thing I am curious about is your reed choice. I totally get where you’re coming from about editing the volume, mic placement, etc.. so that we blend the volume of your Sax with the track like we would do when performing live on a stage. But along the lines of what Jake is saying, what I’m still hearing is that the reed isn’t vibrating as freely as it should. This can even happen even from something as simple as the reed being out of proper alignment with the MP/slips from the ligature, etc. This can affect the intonation like you mentioned above. Could also be from using a reed that’s too thick, what reed are you using? Sometimes we get so caught up in our playing that we can overlook these simple things that make such a big difference, I know I’m guilty of it for sure. Thanks much Jazz Cat for sharing this with everyone. I have Herbie Hancock’s Cantaloupe Island on my to-do list this year, great/simple song to learn and work on the Jazz Improvisation. Looking forward to your next one 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.