Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Best mp facing for growls & altissimo?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

Hi Johnny, I watched your guardala mp review video last night, learned something new, how larger facings make brighter sound, thanks, I hadn’t known that.

Any guideline for ‘best’ facing range tenor metal mps for getting altissimo & growls?

I’m using a great Otto Link STM 6 w/vandoren java red/green 2.5s…sounds nice, and I know it’s likely 80% my embouchure/lack of skill not mp choice..why I’m still not able to growl..

but do you think a 7-8-9 type facing may make it easier to growl + hit altissimo notes?

thx

Anonymous

@jazz – i play on a dark classical mouthpiece and altissimo is not a problem, but i did try out my nadir guaradella king that i bought 2 yrs (i dont use it anymore too loud to play indoors), and the altisimmi notes were just as easy, the only difference they were 10 times louder.

Imo too much emphasis is placed on the mouthpiece, just like people hope things will improve by going up a reed suze.

for my 2 cents – master all 7 overtones on the 5 low keys first, after that look at different mouthpieces.

as to growling – i would see a Pro, sounds like your embouchure is not relaxed enough, which also can explain problems in playing overtones & altussimo

Michael Bishop
        Participant

@jazzcat: Sxpoet makes a great point. I can pop out the Altissimo notes on a standard Yamaha 4c MP, but for me the reed size is still crucial. In the beginning, MPs with bigger tip openings can help you get out these notes, but as you get more experienced with the Altissimo range you can hit these notes on MP that vary from tip openings, hard rubber/metal, etc. But you should only experiment with these variables after putting in honest work. When starting off with Altissimo, a good rule of thumb is just start with your standard MP that you’re already using, don’t worry about going crazy with trying different equipment. A simple change in reed strength may be all that’s needed. Most people (but not everyone) say going up a reed in 1/2 strength-size really helped them. Regarding those growls, I would definately have to say MPs with bigger tip openings are the way to go here–most of the MPs that we see designed for Rock & Roll have big tip openings. For me, about .118″-.120″ is just right. The tip opening is important, but remember that’s there’s other variables too like chamber sizes, baffles, etc.. Sxpoet makes another great point about your growls..keep your throat relaxed and open your oral cavity. We tend to wanna tense these areas up, which is one of the things that prevents people from playing in the Altissimo range.

john
          Keymaster

Yup, good points there. Technique is almost everything so you must master the overtone stuff before putting all the responsibility on your mp.
            you have a very good mp in that link, but a 6 is very much in the medium range and so if you want to develop a bigger sound you can think about going a number or 2 more open, like a 7 or 8. Once you are comfortable with this size mp it will be easier to tackle altissimo as well because you’re now getting more air into your sax. I know for me when I try getting up there on a small tip hard mp I have to work way harder and the tone is not very wide and open.

Jazz Cat
            Participant

Hi – thanks guys, some excellent tips; much appreciated. Good ideas; I’ll try them out; thank you all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.