Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Are there many Tenor Saxophone players who are Women?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny,
      We had lots of family and friends over yesterday and today, had the opportunity to play on my Saxophone in front of everyone and the LOVED it 😎 (Yes, I played a low F and not low F# for “Killing me Softly” LOL) One in-law is from Oklahoma and is learning to play the Sax from a local music teacher out there-she told me they haven’t learned 1/2 of what I’ve learned from you, even though they’ve been learning for 1 year. I just encouraged her to sign up here, buy your ebook, etc. and reminded them that we get out what we put into it.
      This same in-law told me that there are very few Tenor players out there who are Women, most are men. According to what my in-law says, her music teacher relays the reason for this: Because it’s a bigger horn, most women “don’t have the lung capacity” to play it and many find it too heavy, so they will often opt out and play the Alto or the Soprano. Would it really be right to say they don’t have the Lung capacity or would that be a little bit of an exaggeration?

john
      Keymaster

I’ve said a similar thing before and had a back lashing from a gal… but I didn’t mean it that way, what I said is that MOST females who start will choose the alto because it is a smaller horn and specifically a high school person who is smaller and has to carry it home every day, it is a better option, both for the weight of carrying it and the amount of air required…. smaller person male or female, might be a better choice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.