Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Anyone know of good MP Bite Pads? Have any home-made ideas to share?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Has anyone come across a good MP bite guard that will last for more than just a few sessions? Just about all of the ones I’ve tried are cheap and I bite right through them in a very short period of time. I haven’t found any bite pads that are even worth using! On the Claude Lakey I have used before, I took a material called “Epoxy” that you get from a general hardware store and filled the MP where you bite/create an even surface–this lasted for about a month each time I did it. So far this is the best thing I’ve been able to come up with. For me, without having the plate filled with some kind of a pad, even surface, etc.. I have never been able to get a stable embouchure without having something to bit onto, so I’m looking into options to see if I can come up with a better way. Does anyone have any home-made ideas to share? I think I remember Johnny saying something in his review of the Guardala MPs about something he did to his MBI and it lasted him about 6 months before he had to re-fill it again? I was wondering what kind of material he used to fill the MP? Almost looks like autobody “spotfiller” or puddy that they use in an autoshop for repairing dents on cars or something.

Marc
      Participant

I change mine over a period of less than a month (I play 1 hour daily)… so I decided to get a bunch of those that are offered on eBay for $6 a dozen or so…

john
        Keymaster

my dentist gives me the material that they use to make dentures with. this is the hardest stuff you can get and is what Dave Guardala used but you need a mp that has the middle part indented so that this material can sit in there….in other words you can’t just smear it on a totally flat, smooth mp.
          I can’t stand those rubber pads, they put an extra layer of height on the whole setup and of course I bite thru them easily.
          on my new fatboy I’m just playing ojn the mp with nothing there…so far so good, I think the worst that I’ll do is scratch it.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Fantastic idea Johnny and great timing for me too, given my recent visits to my own dentist with recent ordeal as I e-mailed you about with the muscle in my jaw. The MPs I’m using have the middle part indented like you described, so it would work great. I’m going to ask my dentist about it, given the fact that this something I really need I’m sure he’ll be more than willing to help me out. I can’t stand those little pads either, they drive me absolutely up the wall.

Bill Mecca
            Participant

I use runyon pads. I put on the soft black and then a clear on top.

Jazz Cat
              Participant
                paddy jordan
                Participant

i use go through those loads of little mouth piece pads i would bite through just as Michael said, and the cost can soon add up, anyway i i tried some helicopter tape the military use it on there helicopter blades in the desert, its used on protecting the vulnerable paint work on mountain bikes that sort of stuff,Its thin but you can get in different thickness i got a roll its 25mm wide just cut a little piece off it last ages very comfty you don’t know its on the mouthpiece. Best part you is you will only ever need one roll.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.