Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Any drummers ??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Hi, this one is right out of the blue. Guy I know does haulage, mostly house removals. Phones me yesterday and says he has a drumkit that was headed for the dump…the guy who’s stuff he was shifting just wasn’t interested in it. So, my spare room now is full of ” Yamaha stage custom nouveau ” drums and traps. I have mentioned that at fifteen, I began as a jazz drummer under a guy Ron Parry. That was until I heard sax up close and switched. I still keep a set of congas, but haven’t owned a kit for many years. I’m just putting this out there guys. If anybody thinks on, please ask your drummers….are they any good…they look it. They are mine to do with as I wish, but yeah, any info would be great. Thanks….jak

Anonymous
        jak Swift
        Participant

Thanks sxpoet. I was surprised to see just how cheap drums are on fleabag and such. This one is a little more funky with added toms chunkier stands and such. No worries Its getting moved today into a permenant rehearsal room, so I’ll get the chance to cause havoc every once in a while. It was a real nice gesture from a guy who knew I was having big horn problems. I couldn’t sell it. It was a gift firstly, but can you imagine packing and sending a drumkit ?
          Have a good day man…and thanks again. Jak

Anonymous

no probs Jak, a relative of mine used to play drums and sold his kit when he got married. But he did keep one cymball (same price as a pro sax), as the materials in the cymball are hard to come by and gives it a unique sound, just goes to show how the different range of materials used in making instruments can have a huge impact on the quality of their sound.

jak Swift
            Participant

Doesn’t surprise me sxpoet. I don’t harp on about drums its long in the past but a great grounding for rhythmic improv.I guess like horns, there are drums and DRUMS !! I used to be so into Steve Gadd, man I adored the guy, his style, so a Yamaha kit free was a blast. I do remember one cymbal… a ” Ufip ” ride. I got it off of a pro player who’s parting words were….” I will get this back one day “….he did. Kinda strange that for the price of a usable kit, you couldn’t buy a decent mpc ?? Anyhow, its real good to see you still about man, and you didn’t opt out for watercolours. Great to do both !!
              How’s the playing coming on ?

jak Swift
              Participant

Its a very real thing that the materials make all the difference, but this has been pored over for years. My opinion, in short…brass content. That’s the reason fifties horns are my thing. The combination of the high brass content ( horn dependant ) and that human touch in the making…great !! Each to their own, but roll on Wed….the given date of delivery of my tenorsax.
                Where are you sxpoet ? I only ask because of the prompt replies. Just wondered if you were UK based. Always good to make friends you can meet up with.
                Anyhow, afternoon rehearsal. Few guys from an old Liverpool band ” 29th & Dearborn ” are getting it together again. I’m tenor \ bari…. congas. We do a killer version of ” Dixie Chicken “, by the wonderful but again long gone ” Little Feat “.
                Have a great day man…a pleasure….jak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.