Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Alto Theo Wanne Durga Metal Mouthpiece

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Hi – looking at investing in the above mouthpiece, currently using a yamaha 4c with Ricoh Royal reeds upto size 3, has anyone used the Durga mouthpieces, and what do they think about them?

john
      Keymaster

I played a couple of Theo’s mp’s and I think one was the Durga. If it was then it was one of the very best I’ve ever tried…including my treasured Guardala! I think he is one of the very best maker’s in the world today and every thing he makes is quality stuff.

john
        Keymaster

wow – thanks for that, i might try out a size 8!

john
          Keymaster

i’ve decided to put the metal mouthpiece on hold and ordered a theo wanne ebonite kali instead, as the you tube sounds i’ve heard sound quite good, and i’m not quite ready for the heavy rock & roll techniques!

john
            Keymaster

Awesome, keep us informed after you get it for sure.

john
              Keymaster

I finally got my theo wanne kali ebonite no 8 today! My biggest worry was jumping from a yamaha 4c to kali 8, would i be able to play it? and if i could play it would it sound different or worse than my 4c?
                So i took Keven’s advice (from the latest blog) and held on to my 1.5 rico royals that i was no longer using, as Keven mentioned when he moved up a mouthpiece he dropped down in reeds – so thanks Kevin you saved some cash there!

so instead of using the 2.5 rico royals that i use on the yamaha 4c i slapped the unused rico royals 1.5, going by what mouthpiece makers say – use a new reed on a new mouthpiece not an old one that has molded to your old mouth piece.

Anyway i’m very relieved, i sound exactly the same as i did before except the kali is definitely louder which i suppose is what you would expect when moving to wider mouthpiece? I haven’t had to blow any harder the middle range is a lot easier to play so soft, the bottom range is i need to get more control of as it is more of a blast, and the top register is less shrilly.

It comes with a gold plate and a copper plate for the ligature which theo claims changes the sound? and he claims i can change the focus of the tone by moving the ligature closer or farther away from the tip. in my case i like ligatures closer to the tip.

Overall i’m really pleased with it – the next one is to try out theo’s metal kali !!

john
                Keymaster

Hey that’s very exciting! It shouldn’t be too long before you are ready for a 2 reed as you start to gain more control now. This of course will get you going to an even bigger sound.

john
                  Keymaster

I’m amazed i’ve actually found a vandoren reed that works for me on my mouthpiece – the java green 1.5, on a par with the rico jazz select filed 1.5!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.