Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Alto saxophone MP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Before purchasing the Gardala Alto Saxophone studio mouthpiece that I bought just yesterday, I purchased a piece from a guy online,, at this point I would rather not say his name, just trying to be respectful. Well I just recently received that MP from him, I mentioned to him several times in the process that I can’t play a tip opening .84 or .85. He so ignored my instructions, and I paid more than these Guardala. I have been playing on and off about 3 years now, I am no where near where I should be. Anyway, I have a piece I can’t play. I have a person that I purchased this from that states I just need time to develop my emborchure????? Anyway .it’s a high baffle at .84. Should I get it re worked or try to sell??? I can send pics if you want, i was screwes it seems and i should have purchased the guardala and not deal withnthis person. vinny

jake
      Participant

That’s a hard one there. If it’s not a name branded piece that well known like theo wanne or guardala then I’m afraid you will probably eat the cost of that mouthpiece. I had a couple custom pieces made for me before I got my fatboy. I will never get my return of investment on them unless I personally know someone I can sell them too. Unless you know someone that can hook you up with re working the piece I’m afraid you are gonna invest even more money into it you will never get back. Unless you get it customized to where you love it and will be playing it. Good luck!!!

Mark Kiziuk
        Participant

Real sorry to hear that Vincent.It looks like that guy was only after a quick sale! I hope you can get it reworked cheaply, if not, then I would throw it on EBay and at least get some of your money back. Good luck!
          Mark

Anonymous

Thanks to both of your replies. I don’t know maybe I will grow into the piece? Wishful thinking? Yes it’s not a theo Wanne or Jody jazz that people recognize as a retailer, so it’s popularity is not there, anyway buyer beware, when they start saying that they are a professional mouthpiwce maker.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Sorry to hear about that Vincent–if you’ve been playing regularly for 3 years, at this point we should know what works for us and what doesn’t work for us. Not all of us are the type of players who can handle big tip openings, nor are all of us the type of players who can handle metal MPs. But if you haven’t been playing regularly for these past 3 years, then there may be some truth in what he’s telling you, especially if you feel that you’re not where you should be. If you told him you can’t handle tip openings past .084 and he just outright ignored your request, then that should send you a ‘red flag’ right there of someone who doesn’t seem to care! Before you make a decision on whether to keep it sell it, maybe as a suggestion is to put it away and get some regular playing in, then come back to it a few months from now and you may feel differently about it–You may have different results. But if you’re that point where you know what works for you and what doesn’t work for you, then selling it online is a good option. I would be interested in seeing some pics for sure, is it a Custom MP or a brand model of sorts?

Anonymous

It’s a gary sugal super classic II. I AM NOT AT HOME I will be home Sundaym j will send pic s when I get home. I here wh as t you are saying and I know that he said that because he makes his pieces with a high baffle that the tip opening needs to be a bit larger. He has his own website, I think I really like your s uggestion to put it away for a few months and come back to it. Thank you

Anonymous

Just to let you know, first, thank you very much for your comments, this is a learning experience, and, I, in no way, post this and mention this, to slam him. Maybe I DID NOT COMMUNICATE well. It’s just becoming an expensive learning experience, thank you

Mark Kiziuk
                  Participant

Hey Vincent. I just did a check on his website and it seems very reputable in my opinion and he’s been making mp’s for something like 25 years. And I think he has made mp’s for famous people. If I were you, I would call the guy up and try to speak to him about what happened. Best of luck!

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

No worries Vincent, we all go through that experimental phase as we’re learning about these things and the reality is that we have to experiment, that’s just about the only way we learn of what works for us and what doesn’t work for us. I’m very happy for the members who are getting a killing, rockin’ Sax sound on the new Guardalas–superb MPs to say the least and are probably the best MPs in the world..but just because they sound good on them doesn’t mean that I will sound good on them. There’s a lot more to take into consideration when picking an MP like our Anatomy such as our Oral Cavity, vocal chords, diaphragm, etc.. After we’re done experimenting, we know what works for us and what doesn’t work for us, but it takes some time to get to that point. Be patient about your MP experimenting, but be regular with your practice sessions too…a few months from now you may find that you’re getting totally different results with that MP v.s. what the results you’re getting now.

Anonymous

I will call him. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.