Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Altissimo Course altissimo update

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bill Mecca
    Participant

Don’t forget about tone matching. Play the overtone then try to match it to the natural fingering. ex. Low Bb, play the first overtone (octave), then match that to your Bb fingering, in timbre and intonation. it will help with your tone and intonation.

Anonymous

That’s exactly what i have been doing in the last few months, i picked that tip from a book written by some famous sax player,
        bring the keyed note in tune with the overtone. Practice slurring between keyed notes & overtone notes – doing loads of different exercises with overtones and keyed notes. Result for me – louder pitches on the keys, stronger tone on the keys & reslly being able to belt out a note, and holda strong steady firm pitch.

wayne wojnarowski
        Participant

Sx poet want to sell your mouth piece ??

Anonymous

What my Yamaha 4c – no way man!
            It came with my yamaha alto sax, so when i come to selling it on after Johnny gives me his Selmar, i want the next person to have the original mouthpiece the sax came with! lol

wayne wojnarowski
            Participant

No your KING ,!!

wayne wojnarowski
              Participant

Sx poet did you ever hear the tenor player in the Sat. NITE Band don’t know who he is but MAN listen to him solo way up there hurts the ear,Johnnie or sx poet or anybody, is the altissimo range to be used in a ornamental way ?like a little sprinkle here and there or like URGENT is that song a good example of using the higher end of the altisimo , or is it in
                the altisimo range? Is there such a thing as solos or actual songs played entirely in the altissimo range??In regards to altissimo C , If my horn stops at f#, hitting the keys normally is c above that, like f# G Ab A Bb B C.. If so man that’s high Johnnie what is the note in Urgent that’s really high??

Anonymous

Wayne – i need to keep my King in case i want to play something requiring a bright mouthpiece.

Everything above high F# is referred to as Altissimo notes.
                  you can keep going up the scales until its just a dog whistle.

Theres an infinite array of key positions which all work, but require you to blow overtones.

JF’s altissimo course is very good – as he narrows down the key positions, and picks positions that naturaly flow from pitch to pitch.

With a dark mouthpiece the altissimo notes are very clear and perfectly in tune, with a bright mouthpiece, which bring out the higher harmonics/partials in any pitch, the crappier the mouthpiece the more distorted and out of tune higher notes become – which is great for rock because you want that screaming effect. Unless you are a very experienced player then the more out of tune those higher notes sound. practice…

I play altisimmo notes for piano tranposed sheets – as they often creep up into altissimo after transposition.

Its the players choice what they want to use it for – solo attention grabbing pieces etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.