Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Altissimo Course Altissimo lesson 1

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

NO worries Johnny, you’re a hard-working man for sure.
      Speaking of Altissimo, in the previous posts that got deleted when your webserver’s system crashed there were a few members asking me if I had any tips, insights, on Altissimo. I have taken the concepts/principles from your Overtone series and been using an exercise that helps to reinforce the things you cover in Overtones, things that we do in the overtones, etc. which apply directly to playing in the Altissimo range and applied those very same concepts in a very “different” kind of exercise..I call this part of the exercise “part 1” LOL Then, in what I call “part 2” I took it one step further and showed how applying these points apply directly to the Altissimo range (playing an Altissimo note from ANY of the low keys of the Sax, while maintaining that exact same note and working up the Saxophone. The further up the Sax we go, the harder it gets to maintain that same note! For example, finger low Bb and hit an Alt. note like Alt.A, finger low B and still hit Alt.A, finger low C# and still hit Alt. A, fingering low C and still hit Alt. A, and so on. We keep going up and up and up while still hitting Alt A over and over again–as you know, there’s lots of adjustments we have to make in our embouchure, air support, lip, etc. to keep hitting that same exact note while going up further and further on the Saxophone! 🙂 Then, in what I call “part 3” I start to address the things that we can be doing that actually PREVENT us from hitting Altissimo notes, show how to correct it, show how to pay attention to some of the things that maybe we’re NOT doing that we should be doing, describe some of the things to pay “special” attention to when hitting an Alt. note, etc.. I am friends with a member on facebook and I made a rough video of the exercise I developed and have gotten good initial feedback. If you’re interested in seeing what this is all about, I can either make a private video for you and e-mail it to you or, with your permission, post this series of exercises here on your site, for your members only. As I told the member I’m friends with on facebook, this exercise is NOT designed to replace Overtones, there’s no getting around them (sorry to say that for anyone reading this LOL) but rather it’s an exercise that “compliments” the Overtones and helps to re-enforce the the things in the Overtone series in a slightly different way. In fact, without working on Overtones, there’s NO WAY you can do this exercise. Let me know if you’re interested in seeing what I’ve been working on/developing, how to share it, etc.. I have a video collab. to do with my guitar friend later today that I will be uploading here to Member’s videos…we’re playing the Blues together 🙂

john
      Keymaster

awesome stuff michael Hey why don’t you post it on my facebook page here:
        https://www.facebook.com/howtoplaysaxophone
        I often mean to put more content there but keep forgetting and this might help it out a bit more!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Okay, will do sometime after the holiday, will be out-of-town this coming week. I did click “like” on your page! Facebook would most definately helping you grow even more Johnny if you’re interested in growing more than what you already are. I opened a facebook account per the encouragement of my music friends here for the purposes of networking. I’m not on there constantly like so many people are, I don’t have time for it, but a lot of good things have happened because making a “balanced” use of social media. I’m getting inquiries here locally if I would be interested in doing some gigs here locally this coming year…imagine that! Never crossed my mind before, never thought something like that would even be remotely possible for me, who would have thought? When guys ask me where I learned to play Altissimo/Sax, I share your site with them. They would probably love it if you we’re on facebook too. Getting ready to do the collab with a guitar player, hope to have it up for you sometime tonight on member’s videos…pure blues 🙂

Anonymous

I finally started this course, and really found out that I cannot go from the low B flat to the High F without looking at the sheet music and even then not fast enough to do in one take. I am learning that I am not breathing correctly. Also, I have all these aspirations of playing many melodies but cannot if I cant get this lesson 1 down well.

I am committed to not just practicing it to get it right, but to practice it to not get it wrong. If what I just said makes sense?????? LOL

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.