Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Altissimo Course Altisimo G

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    brother cavefish
    Participant

i am having some problems getting this one, any tips

Michael Bishop
      Participant

There’s a variety of things that could be preventing us from hitting the note. How are you doing with the Overtone series? Those lessons are really important. Keep your neck in a nice/upright/relaxed position and avoid shrugging your shoulders–shrugging your shoulders is often a sign of poor air support from your lungs. Sometimes we could just be trying too hard and ‘biting’ too hard with the lower lip..it’s more about finding that ‘sweet spot’ in your embouchure. The tighter the bottom lip means the higher the note, the lower/looser the bottom lip means the lower the note. Hearing the note in your mind is important–gotta hear it before you can play it. Many times what happens is that the things that we should be doing (relaxed throat, air support, etc.) is what weren’t not doing and what weren’t not doing is what we should be doing. It’s often the little things things that make a big difference, especially when hitting that pesky note of Altissimo G. Don’t give up–be really patient and keep at it–the rewards are worth it 🙂

brother cavefish
        Participant

never done any series, some fingering are differant, just trying to find the right one, thanks for the encouragement

Anonymous

Hi BC, have a look at these pages for alternate fingering you could experiment with.

http://wfg.woodwind.org/sax/sax_alt_6.html

Michael Bishop
            Participant

The key to playing in the Altissimo range is developing the technique that allows you to play in this range–all of the lessons that Johnny teaches in the Altissimo course prior to learning any of the fingerings are an absolute must. Without having developed the proper technique, we will never have true control/mastery of playing in the Altissimo register. Work on developing the technique first before worry about fingerings. The 2 fingering systems that Johnny teaches for each note work on every single Saxophone that I’ve ever tried them on, and right now the count is at about 17 different Saxophones that I’ve tried the on—no, I don’t own that many. Friends, shops, my local instructor, etc. have let me try their Saxophones.

jak Swift
              Participant

Hi Brother. I avoid giving tips as its Johnny’s site, Johnny’s lessons….and they are gonna be better than mine for sure. One time only !!
                Finger B3 ( first finger, and octave key ). At the same time, engage your F# key. It should fly out.
                This will give you a feel of the note. If you are playing one finger fork F, engage the side Bb key.
                Most people find that one the hardest; they tend to overblow and get…C#5 ( I’m pretty sure ).
                My problem is the next one Ab. The side C needs to be engaged on my 10M ( fingering; 1,3,4,6 ). Man can I hit that side C without, hitting the side keys above and below. I’m considering getting a riser for that key only…we’ll see.
                Good luck man, it will come ☺

jak Swift
                Participant

Now I see you’ve asked for tips I feel its good to offer my two cents. Its a long and patient road man, but as Michael says, once you have a full chromatic octave fingering that works; its a GREAT feeling.

jak Swift
                  Participant

Just browsing through, some guy Leo..( hi man !! ) said exactly the same thing ( B\ F# ) a coupla years back. Johnny’s point was not to overcomplicate things. That one finger G is so simple in theory. Moving F# to G Johnny’s way is not the only way but certainly the best.

brother cavefish
                    Participant

what is the one finger G, fingering—- also thanks friends, i forgot about the finger chart the woodwind fingering guide, i try this later this week,

Michael Bishop
                      Participant

Keep at it Bro. Cavefish–that note in particular is probably the hardest note in all of Sax playing to consistently hit. If it was easy then everyone would be doing it. Good for you to want to take on the Altissimo range 🙂 There are literally thousands of Sax players out there who will actually refuse to play in this range, some of who have many years playing Saxophone. I’ve had a few conversations with some players like that and it’s amazing the reasons that they come up with for not wanting to learn to play in this range–some of the reasons have been stuff like ‘don’t really need to play that high to sound good’ totally missing the point. Just as a kind piece of advice to you: don’t skip steps. Learning the fingering is a very small part of the whole thing. I would say 90% of playing in the Altissimo register is about technique. There’s no getting passed things like overtones, ear training, etc.. The lessons that Johnny has in his course that help you develop the technique you need to play in this range is really, really important and it’s the real key to playing in this range. Keep rockin’! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.