Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Ain't No Sunshine…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jan
    Participant

PS. Just watched pentatonic blues improvisation 2, which answered my first pretty stupid question. Change scale, of course.

J

john
      Keymaster

Ya, in blues there are always options and the ability to bend and break even the rules I talked about. You could even play the entire 12 bar blues progression using the one chord, if in C, play a C blues throughout. This can eventually get monotonous and boring but it will work. Shifting to the 4 and 5 chords allows for more pleasant and creative changes and so yes, practise them changes!

Jan
        Participant

Thanks Johnny,

I'll continue to memorize all the scales until they come naturally. Soloing currently constantly brings in panic notes that sound wrong (usually half a tone too low), but I guess practice eventually will get rid of the fumbling.

However, let me just get one thing right: If I'm asked to play a C blues in a II-V-I progression my scales would be E-A-D, is that correct?

Jan

Jan
          Participant

PS. … a concert C blues, just to clarify. Say, together with a piano or guitar.

john
            Keymaster

You got it!

Jan
              Participant

Hi Johnny,

Please let us have the second part of your transcription. The only notes I think I can detect at the beginning of your solo is G-G#-A-A-A, but the more I listen and try to replicate the less confident I am about my interpretation.

Jan

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.