Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Ain't No Sunshine…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jan
    Participant

Hi Johnny,

I've downloaded the Bb sheet of "Ain't No Sunshine …" from some other site, but it doesn't contain all the niceties you've got in your version, including the riffs and solo during the "I know" section. Do you plan to upload the sheet of your version soon, with an explanation of where you growl, gliss, vibrate etc? Fantastic version you play in the video! Watched it many times and am battling to get the beginning C-E-G-D-C attack sound anything resembling your performance.

Could you please also make a tutorial of how to develop and perfect a gliss? (spelling?)

Jan

john
      Keymaster

Hi Jan, not sure what you meant about the beginning notes because the ones you stated aren't the notes for the beginning of the melody.

Jan
        Participant

Hi Johnny,

I've come to realise that. It's the notes given on the sheet I downloaded from somewhere else, however. Obviously it sounds weird, and instead I'm currently trying to imitate your version by listening to how you play it – over and over again. It would be brilliant if you had a transcription available, and wanted to share it with us. Maybe just the first 20 bars or so, initially?

Jan

Jan
          Participant

Am I right in assuming that you're playing F# A B D C# A B / F# A B D C# A F# / ?

Jan

john
            Keymaster

Yes those are the right notes Jan. I will scribble out a chart later and notify everybody through the email list when it's up.

Jan
              Participant

Thanks Johnny. You rock. Will throw myself relentlessly at your notes. Jan

Jan
                Participant

Johnny,

Do you have any tips regarding playing the low B – Bb – B crossing from bar 7 to 8? Do you move your little finger or just roll it on its side? My sax (Yamaha YTS25) has a little roller to facilitate a quick shift between the two keys but my little finger can't move that fast sideways. Is it a question of practice, or is there an easier way?

Your transcription is brilliant, thanks! Listening is of course preferable, but a little help in the beginning is very valuable.

Jan

Jan
                  Participant

Bar 8 to 9 of course. Sorry.

J

john
                    Keymaster

It's just a matter of practicing that little move which can be a little weird at first.

When going down to the low Bb all fingers are down, so it's just a matter of rolling the pinky off the Bb which makes the not a B natural.

This lowest part of the horn can be difficult in the beginning. If air support is weak and/or the horn has even the slightest leak it makes it difficult to get down there easily.

Certain horns also have cumbersome notes down there making it even worst but the Yamaha is good for this. My Selmer M7 is terrible down there but my Selmer M6 is great. Regardless, we have to work at it until it just starts to happen… leaks aside, make sure you are putting a ton of air into it when you go down there and eventually it should start to happen for you.

Jan
                      Participant

Hi Johnny,

I have a bunch of questions, and please accept in advance my apologies for my ignorance.

When I play the C blues scale as mentioned in your lesson and in bar 5 and 6 change to F, does it mean that I start playing the F scale or do I continue with the C scale just stating from natural F? The difference is of course the B and Bb. The same is the case with the change to G in the 9th and 10th bar. Do I switch to the G scale substituting the F with F#? Or, do I continue with the "easier" C scale just starting from natural F?

Also, when you talk about the C blues scale with the 3rd, 5th and 7th notes flattened, to play it together with concert C instruments won't they need to play in Bb? Otherwise we'll be playing in different keys?

Finally, will you post the notes for your solos in AIN'T NO SUNSHINE and TEQUILA? They don't have to be rhythm perfect, just the notes that set off each lick. You can even leave the repeats out.

I thoroughly enjoy playing the music your way!!

Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

Jan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.