Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions A Solid Gold Sax

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

i was searching the web to see if a solid gold sax existed (like i’m going to buy one) lol

I stumbled across this forum, i found it an interesting read mainly because it shows i’m not the only who person who seeks valid scientific proof about various views people have.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?26790-Solid-Gold-Silver-and-Gold-Silver-Plated-Sax

Anonymous

Hi sxpoet, no i think titanium is the way to go because it is hard and light. It will also be quite pricey.

Anonymous

It’s worth reading, as it’s a bunch of guys with lots of opinions about whether or not the material of a sax affects its sound.

One of the comments i read below & i quote

“The one school of thought that is quite adamant that the body material of a horn makes no difference is quite vocal about repeating their opinions on the matter but repetition doesn’t make it any truer.

I would like to see a valid scientific reference that confirms some of the opinions on this rather than relying on hearsay.”

@Jeff
          no need to buy titanium sax, just buy one of these

http://www.sax.co.uk/nuvo-jsax.ir

Anonymous

Hi Sxpoet, nuvo-jsax? Oooooo I don’t know it looks really complicated – LOL
            Yes, as you can hear it sounds just like a Selmer!

I read somewhere that one of the reasons that the older saxes are so popular is because of the high quality of the metal which was used.

If their theory was correct all one would require is a quality reed and MP, and the rest of the sax could be made from hard PVC. That’s like saying that provided the length of the prongs is correct, a tuning fork can be made from plastic too. Harder materials reflect sound better than soft, I guess it all depends on the quality of sound you would like to produce.

Anonymous
              jak Swift
              Participant

At the end of the day, its the player that makes the difference. IMO…A high brass content has always done it for me. A guy fifty miles from me has one of Hawks horns. Totally legit: I think its an S. M .L. He puts it on the market from time to time. Prices vary. Pristine; from an outrageous thirty K ( English ) ; it fluctuates. I often wonder; if I had say, ten, twelve K; would I make an offer. Considering a good b.a. is in that ballpark… Probably, yeah. What would I do with it ? PLAY IT !!! what else. Jak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.