Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself 65 yrs young learning the sax

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    robert nelson
    Participant

Started this journey a little over 3 months ago. Bought a used Yas26, taking lessons, and quickly learned there is a LOT to learn.

A little background–I retired (military and govt service) for good three years ago!!! Four years ago I started playing the Native American Flute (NAF)–a minor pentonic open holed instrument. A great haunting sounding flute (now have 15 of them). Two years ago, I picked up a bamboo sax from Erik the Flute maker (open holed instrument with an alto mouthpiece and a tenor reed)–it took me quite a while to learn to play it:(

I really liked the sax sound and decided to “go all in” and here “I be”. Not only am I learning the sax, but I learning to read music. Up to this point I have mostly improv’ed (the NAF is a great for that). My goals are to first enjoy the journey, second somehow get some good sounds out of the sax, third play songs that I enjoy (blues and rock), and fourth learn how to read music (not easy for an old man:) 🙂

Finally, just bought the Killer Blues course and will incorporate those lessons in my partice routine.

Lee

Marc
      Participant

Hey Bob, welcome to the Oldies’ Club …LOL…
        I’m 53 and absolute beginner in wind instruments. Only some piano and guitar in my teen age. Almost 40 years where music was only a companion to listen to.
        Now I think it’s time to give it a go… let’s surf over those staves, and see where they take us.

Cheers.

David Breunig
        Participant

Nice to hear there are others out there like me. I’ve always loved listening to the sax, and am finding out it’s a pretty rough way to dive into music. Hopefully I can learn what to do (and not to do) from some of the people on this forum. Enjoy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.