Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds #3 reeds

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by john.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Farrell
    Participant

Started out using the #2.5 reed that came with my Saxaphone.
      Ordered some #3 reeds to see what they were like. Work OK,
      but harder to play. Went back to the #2.5 reed for now.

Mark Kiziuk
      Participant

Hi. My name is Mark. If you are new to playing the saxophone, I would suggest using 1 or 1 1/2.

john
        Keymaster

the beauty of playing on a thin reed is that they will be easy to play.
          a 1.5 for the beginner is good. as you get a little more experience and move on to a 2 you will
          be able to develop your tone to sound stronger than when you played the thinner reeds.
          this should be a progression and so jumping to a 3 with little experience may make playing harder than it needs to be
          and your tone development won’t progress as in the other way.

Patrick Farrell
          Participant

Received the information on using #1.5 and #2 reeds as a beginner – I’ll order
            some and start with these – Thanks!

jak Swift
            Participant

#3 green java. All day: all the way !! Take it easy jak

brother cavefish
              Participant

what is the benefit of playing stronger reeds, 3,4,5

john
                Keymaster

3 is considered a medium. but there are no benefits of playing a strong reed if they’re too hard for you to play.
                  everyone is different and so we make the adjustments as necessary…you can’t start on a 3. you start on a 1 or 1.5
                  after a while as your tone gets stronger you jump up to the next size and play that for a while. if you jump up again and it’s too hard to play you stick to what you had, but if the new stronger six is just a little stiff and you’re finding your tone is bigger then you stick to that for a while and it gradually becomes normal. this is how we progress with getting a bigger, stronger tone. BUT, some people can do this on a 2 or 2.5 reed…. I think Plas Johnson, most famous for the original Pink Panther recording, plays on a 1.5 or 2.
                  I’ve been playing for over 30 years and play a 3, if I get a 3.5 it’s just way too hard.
                  it’s different for everyone and playing on a harder reed doesn’t mean anything

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.